Osteoarthritis is one of the most common types of arthritis. A person suffering from Osteoarthritis has their protective cartilage of bones wear down with time. In this blog, you will learn all you need to know about osteoarthritis.
Osteoarthritis is a bone disease that affects the joints. In a joint that is healthy, there is a coating of soft bone tissue, known as cartilage that helps the bones move more freely with each other. In osteoarthritis, the cartilage becomes thinner and gets a rougher surface. This causes the joint to be unable to move as smoothly as before.
Symptoms of osteoarthritis include: –
- Pain – The affected joints cause pain to the patient.
- Stiffness – Joints get stiff without much movement.
- Tenderness – Joints feel tender when pressure is applied.
- Grating sensation – There are popping or cracking sounds when the joint is moved, and you might get a grating feeling when moving the joint.
- Loss of flexibility – You maybe unable to move joint to its full potential.
- Swelling – There may be some soft tissue inflammation around the joint.
- Bone spurs – There can be extra bits of bone that feel hard around the joint.
Factors that can cause osteoarthritis include: –
- Aging – The risk of osteoarthritis grows overage.
- Sex – Females have a higher risk of developing osteoarthritis.
- Obesity – Carrying more than the appropriate amount of body weight increases the risks of osteoarthritis. Too much weight adds stress to your weight-bearing joints, such as the back, hips, and knees.
- Joint injuries – Injuries like sports injuries can increase the risks of developing osteoarthritis.
- Heredity – Some people are more likely to develop osteoarthritis due to their genes.
- Repeated stress on the joints – If you put stress repeatedly on a single joint, you may develop osteoarthritis.
- Deformities in bone – Some people are born with deformed bones or damaged cartilage.
- Metabolic diseases – Metabolic diseases include diabetes and a scenario where your body has too much iron (hemochromatosis).
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative diseases that only worsens over time as your joints wear out.
We hope you were able to learn all you need to know about osteoarthritis.
Visit 1ML Healthcare Services for more interesting reads.